Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Motivation

Some days it's just hard to get moving, to get motivated, to do it. Today was one of those. Even though the weather is beautiful, I had a hard time getting myself motivated. My shoulder is still not feeling good. Yesterday, I set one route at the gym and climbed it once. Even though it was only a 5.7, I could still feel the pain in my shoulder. So I definitely need a little more time for rehab. I had originally planned to do some biking this morning, but a few seconds of leaning against the bathroom counter convinced me that it might be better to try an activity that didn't involve supporting part of my body weight on my shoulders. So I headed out to Pinnacle Mountain again for another hump over the lump. Once I got their and got myself moving, I began to feel a little more motivated and quickly kicked it into high gear. I didn't have a lot of time to hike this morning, so I got to the top as quickly as possible. A little bit of running and some hard hiking up the east trail got me to the summit in about 20 minutes. I didn't stop but just continued down the slabs on the west side. Once I hit the trail again I ran most of the way down. This kind of hard hiking and running is good cardio training for mountaineering and endurance climbing. I made it back around the base trail and hit the car in just under and hour after starting. Not bad for an old guy. Now if I can just get my shoulder working, I will be ready to climb!

2 comments:

  1. If you did all that in under an hour, you rock!
    Luise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, the grand traverse under 60 minutes. Not bad for an old guy!

    ReplyDelete